Prague guide: info about Prague

Four stars hotels in PragueThree stars hotels in PraguePrague bed and breakfasts - prague pensionsPrague apartments and flats for rent
Q hotelsAbout us

Prague information and tourist guide

Prague sightseeing

PRAGUE CASTLE

Prague Castle The site of the castle was established in 9th century, in 12th century was built the Romanesque palace. In 14th century, under the reign of Charles IV, it was re-built in Gothic style, the last reconstruction of the Royal palace made under the rule of Jagellons at the end of 15th century. In that time appeared famous Vladislav Hall constructed in late Gothics style (1497 to 1500, by the builder Benedikt Rejt).
An enlargement of the Castle was realized in 16th century, in particular; after the big fire in 1541. The Spanish Hall in a new part of the Castle arose under the reign of Rudolf 11. Its final form later on, under Maria Theresia, according to plans of architect M. Pacassi. After World War 1, the interior and gardens of the Castle were redesigned by architect J. Plecnik.
It is the seat of the President of the Republic, historical and political centre of the city and state. Changing guards at Prague Castle every full hour from 5.00 a.m. to 11.00 p.m. at noon sharp also with solemn fanfare.
ST. GEORGE'S MONASTERY
Founded in 973 by Prince Boleslav and his sister Mlada for the order of Benedictine. Dissolved in 1782, reconstructed and newly opened in 1976 as a part of the National Gallery -collections of old Czech art.
ST. VITUS' CATHEDRAL
St. Vitus Cathedral Gothic cathedral being built for nearly six centuries, finally completed in 1929. In 1Oth century at its place was rotunda originally. The cathedral started to be built in 1344 by Mathias Arras and Peter Parler. Peter Parler also built St. Wenceslas Chapel, decorated with frescoes and semiprecious stones, underground there is the tomb of Czech kings.
GOLDEN LANE
Small houses from 16th century, built in the late Gothic fortifications.
THE DALIBORKA TOWER
Fortification Tower built in 1496 by Benedict Rejt as a part of the castle fortifications, converted into jail until the end of the 18th century.
THE POWDER TOWER MIHULKA
Tower with 20m calibre, already in 13th century part of the castle fortifications. In certain periods it was used as a stock of gun-powder .Since 1982 permanent exposition of Rudolf 11 era (alchemists' workshops, casting, bell-foundry).
CASTLE GALLERY
Instead of former stables, there was built a gallery for the collections of art of Prague Castle. The pictures of late Rudolf's 11. Gallery were discovered and specified in 1961-62 (Tizian, Tintoretto, Rubens and others)
BASILICA OF ST. GEORGE
Romanesque basilica, founded in 920, close to the monastery of the Benedictine, reconstructed in 10th and 12th centuries.
THE FORMER BURGRAVE'S HOUSE
The Renaissance building of 16th century . Toy museum.
LOBKOVIC PALACE
Being built since the mid 16th century by the Pernstein family. In 1627 became the property of Polyxena of Lobkovic, in 1651-68 was rebuilt and since then bears its present form. It was rebuilt by Carlo Lurago. Since 1983 it is a part of the National Museum having on exposition of Monuments of the National Past (among other things, copies of coronation jewels).
THE ROYAL GARDEN WITH BALL HALL (MICOVNA)
The garden was initiated in 1534 under the reign of Ferdinand 1, promoted during Rudolf II reign, in the Ball Hall used to be barracks, now it is used as an exhibition hall.
THE ROYAL SUMMER PALACE OF QUEEN ANNE (BELVEDERE)
It is the most remarkable Renaissance building in Prague of 1535-37 according to the projects of Paolo della Stella, finished in 1557-63 by architect B. Wohlmut. In the garden of Belvedere is the Singing Fountain where drops of water make music, designed and casted by TomᚠJaros in 1564-68. Exhibitions take place there.
LORETTO,
Former place of pilgrimage with a copy of Santa Casa, built in 1626-31. The Baroque church of the Nativity of Our Lord of 1734-35. The facade on the front was rebuilt by K.I. Qienzenhofer in 1720-22. The tower contains 30 loretto bells which play the melody of Our Lady choirs. The most valuable item is the liturgic treasury with the diamond monstrance called Prague Sun. It weighs over 12 kg and is embellished with more than 6,000 diamonds.
CERNIN PALACE
An early Baroque palace, works carried out by Francesco Caratti in 1669-87 .The present day seat of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. During the summer months, time to time its garden is accessible to the public.
STRAHOV MONASTERY
Monastery of the Premonstratensian Order at Strahov, originally Romanesque, with the Church of Our Lady and with the building of Strahov Library. The historical library contains an early Baroque Theological Hall of 1671-79 and Classicist Philosophical Hall of 1785-94, decorated with frescoes of A. Maultbertsch.

LESSER TOWN

Lesser Town Very interesting part of Prague below Prague Castle with famous Neruda street, St. Nicholas Church and many others fantastic places. Chrales Bridge is connection between Lesser Town and Old Town.
ST. NICHOLAS' CHURCH
St. Nikolas Church Prague The most significant historical building of the period called Prague Baroque, is of 1704-55. Architects G. Santini, K. I. Dienzenhofer and A. Lurago.
NERUDA STREET
Once the main road leading to the Castle, named after the Czech poet Jan Neruda, who lived in the house At Two Suns.
CHURCH OF OUR LADY VICTORIOUS - PRAGUE CHILD JESUS
Early Baroque building from 1611 , rebuilt in 1644. The church is famous thanks to the Spanish wax effigy of the Prague Child Jesus gifted by Polyxena of Lobkovic and brought to Prague at the end of 16th century.
LESSER-TOWN BRIDGE TOWERS
The lower one dates from 12th century, in Romanesque style, and it is a remnant of the Judith Bridge; the higher one is 200 years younger and was erected in 15th century. The latter one is accessible for the public.
LEDEBOUR GARDEN
Baroque, terrace garden of the first third of 18th century, about 1787 styled most probably by 1. J. Palliardi.
In between salla terrena and the opposite-side wall flat with staircase and fountain with the statue of a Giant, there is a parter with recently built basin. The garden just besides, is Pallfy Garden, founded in the first half of 18th century on terraces, additionally furnished by staircase. It is very fine element i comparison with neighbouring gardens, and from the architectural point of view very sophisticated.
Both gardens were opened for the public after several years of demanding reconstruction in June 1995. The entrance to both gardens is from Wallenstein square number 3, through LedebourPalace.
PETRIN LOOKOUT TOWER
Reduced copy of the Eiffel Tower (60 m high) built in 1891 on the occasion of the Jubilee Exhibilion.
PELRIN LABYRINTH
A Labyrinth with mirrored path set up originally for the Jubilee Exhibition and the diorama -Battle of the Praguers with the Swedes in 1648 at Charles Bridge.

CHARLES BRIDGE

Chrarles Bridge - Prague Founded in 1357 , it is the oldest bridge in Prague, the work was carried out by Peter Parler, the statues and the groups of statues are mostly from 18th century. The well known are works of Matthias Braun and Ferdinand Maxmilian Brokoff.
KAMPA
Island under the Charles Bridge giving a view at the River Vltava and the National Theatre, at one time it was the place of renowned potters' markets.

OLD TOWN

OLD TOWN BRIDGE TOWER
Designed by Peter Parler, the entrance gate to the Charles Bridge from the Old Town. At the tower are copies of the enthroned figures of Charles IV and Wenceslas IV , over the archway is a row of carved emblems of the territories belonging to Charles' empire.
GALLERY OF THE ORDER OF THE KNIGHTS
Permanent exhibition of artefacts acquired from the deposits of the Order of the Knights of the Cross with the Red Star; Underground St. Francis Chapel with 17th century artificial stalactite decorations.
CLEMENLINUM
The building dales from mid 17th century, former Jesuit college, presently time there is a complex of significant libraries.
THE MUNICIPAL HOUSE
One of the most precious memories of the period of "Art Nouveau" style containing the rich in-and-out decorations (Alfons Mucha).
ST. AGNES THE CZECH CONVENT
The ensemble of ecclesiastical and living quarters, founded by King Wenceslas 11 in 1234. Presently there is an exposition of the National Gallery and the concert hall.
THE ROYAL MILE
The unique complex of architectural and historic memories, connecting today's centre of the town (Powder Tower via Celetna Street, Old- Town Square, Karlova Street, Mostecka and Neruda Streets) with past, several coronation processions and the messengers from foreign countries followed this same path.
THE ESTATES' THEATRE
Originally called Nostic Theatre in 1783. On October 29, 1787 there was given a premiere of Mozart's opera Don Giovanni.
POWDER TOWER
Powder Tower Gothic building of 1475 constructed by Matthias Rejsek, once probably stock of the gunpowder. In 1875-86 modified.
CAROLINUM
Charles University building, established in 1348. Gothic bay chapel of 1370, rebuilt in Baroque style in 1718. At present Charles University graduation ceremonies take place there.
BETHLEHEM CHAPEL
Originally Gothic chapel of 1391, where Master John Huss preached. It was completely damaged and reconstructed again, after old engravings and pictures in 1950-53.
PRAGUE GHETTO
Prague Gheto Seven synagogues are the remnants of the old settlement, the Jewish Town Hall and the Old Jewish cemetery, the most remarkable in Europe.
- Klaus Synagogue -1680 (Jewish Traditions and Customs)
- The High Synagogue - mid 16th century (synagogal textiles)
- Pinkas Synagogue -established in 1475 (Memorial of Victims of Nazism)
- Maisel Synagogue -History of Jews in Bohemia and Moravia
- The Jewish Town Hall -mid 16th century
- Former Ceremonial Hall -children's drawings from the concentration camp in Terezin
- The Old Jewish Cemetery -with a tomb of Rabbi Low
- The Old-New Synagogue -the early Gothic building of 13th century
OLD TOWN SQUARE (STAROMESTSKE NAMESTI)
The historical centre of the town, the place of the most significant events, in the middle there is a monument of Master John Huss by Ladislav Saloun; the unique complex of architectonic and historic memories.
THE OLD TOWN HALL WITH THE ASTRONOMICAL CLOCK (HOROLOGE)
Astronomical Clock  - Orloj The Town Hall was founded in 1338, in 1364 adjoined the tower with the chapel, in 1470 the Town Hall was reshaped in the late Gothic style. The Horologe (Orloj) is of the beginning of the 15th century, in the upper part every hour a procession of the 12 Apostles in succession appears at the window, in the lower-part is a copy of 12 internal medallions with the signs of the zodiacal constellations by Josef Manes.
CHURCH OF OUR LADY BEFORE TYN (TYNSKY CHRAM)
Church of Lady Before Tyn - Tynsky Chram After St. Vitus' Cathedral it is the most remarkable Prague Gothic church with Baroque interior. In the church there is the tomb of Tycho de Brahe.
HOUSE AT THE STONE BELL
The most precious burgess house of medieval age, originally Romanesque, which rare Gothic form and two-storey front face of 14th century was renowned in 1988. Present day it serves as an exhibition and concert hall.

NEW TOWN

WENCESLAS SQUARE (VACLAVSKE NAMESTI)
Shopping centre of Prague, top of the square is the statue of St. Wenceslas with four patrons of Bohemia (St. Prokop, St. Adalbert, St. Ludmila and St. Agnes) by Josef Václav Myslbek.
THE NATIONAL MUSEUM
Neo-Renaissance building designed by architect Josef Schull in 1885-90.
THE NATIONAL THEATRE
Neo-Renaissance building of 1868 to 1881 built according to plans of J. Zitek. In 1881 finished theatre burnt, and was reconstructed by architect Josef Schulz in 1883.
VYSEHRAD
On a rock over the River Vltava, the oldest seat of the Premyslide princes. The most ancient building at Vysehrad is the rotunda of St. Martin. In the vicinity of St. Peter and Paul's Church is the residence of canons, casemates, park and cemetery with tombs of famous representatives of Czech culture (Slavin). From the southern part of the fortifications is beautiful view of Prague. Visits to casemates are provided by Prague Information Service excursions.
EMMAUS
The Emmaus Monastery was founded by Charles IV in 1347 for Slavonic Benedictines with the Church of Our Lady and Slavonic patrons. At the end of World War 11 it was burnt by bombing. Two asymmetrical spires were finished in 1967 .
NEW TOWN CITY HALL
A complex of Gothic buildings from the turn of 14th and 15th centuries, reconstructed in the Renaissance style during the years 1520-1526. They include a tower with the Holy Virgin Chapel, 2 Gothic Halls with ribbed vault ceilings, and a Renaissance Hall. Here was the seat of the Administration Offices of the New Town of Prague from 1377 to 1784. The defenestration of catholic city councillors by Prague Hussites occurred here on July 30, 1419. This date is considered to be the start of the Hussite Revolution.


hotels ****  |  hotels ***  |  pensions  |  apartments  |  Q hotels  |  rent a car  |  Prague info  |  about us  |  email  |  prague hotels

Copyright © prague-hotels-site.com 1997-2014 , Jana Mullerova cestovni agentura